Saturday, February 20, 2010

Roy did it again

Oh boy Roy. I was at the WMA checking water levels with my dogs. All of a sudden I hear high pitched yelping! It didn't sound like Roy so I thought Reena was probably in a fight with a porcupine of something. I'm running over yelling Reena Reena, but she pops up the bank on to the road. So it's not Reena, then it is Roy in a frantic state. I quickly find him (he had the smarts enough to at least bark this time so I could find him) and he's caught in a trap again. Poor boy. And not one trap but two! His foot was in a trap, that was in another trap. He must have stuck his foot in a trap, jumped around and stuck the same foot in the one other trap there. Only Roy.

Luckily he trust me enough to work on getting them off without bitting my hands off. The traps were set illigally with visible bait. Trappers are supposed to put the bait in a hole, bury it, or have the traps more than 30 ft from bait that is visible so that raptors and other non-target species are not caught. The trap also did not have the required contact information for the trapper. So I picked them up, left a note for the trapper to call me to get them back, and gave the info to the CO officer. I doubt they will be giving me a call. I don't have a problem with people trapping if they follow the rules.

Anyway. I get to go to Redding CA tomorrow for a week for a Pacific Flyway Wingbee. What is that? Well, a bunch of waterfowl hunters submit the wings of harvested birds and now the USFWS has thousands of wings they need to identifiy to species, age and sex. So they get a bunch of folks together for a whole weeks and all we do is ID wings! Could get old after the first few but I hear it is a fun time to meet folks etc. So CA sunshine for a week....havent' seen that in months!

No comments: