Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Got a deer!

I went on my second only deer hunt on Sunday and got myself a nice fat white-tailed doe! As first big game kills go, its a hard choice. I got a shot at a first one but missed, but secretly I was hoping that I would cause I really didn't want to kill it. The four does ran off and I thought that was it. But I kept sitting to wait out the shooting period, and low and behold another doe came by only 15 minutes later. I was a little more determined this time but still apprehensive, so the shot wasn't great, mostly a poor injury. She took off but we tracked her and Laura gave her the lucky kill shot that hit her spine and dropped her like a ton of bricks. Since I'm not too fond of venison, Laura took most of the meat and I took one hind and front leg, loin, and one side of the back strap. I'm making some jerky in my dehydrator right now! Mmm.

How do you like this photo! Look at that face! LOL! I'm thinking Buckwheat, or Opie or something. Ears and all! Yes, I'm not too proud to share.

Is this one better?


The backstraps, how good does that look? I'll have to bring some down next time I head to Boise

This is still in my garage. Its gonna be alot of work. On top of all the work already done. It sure better be some tasty meat! I am so sore from dragging her 600 metes in the pitch black night.


The dogs all thought I smelled wonderful! Though not as wonderful as roadkill. Poor Roy, I got him something special though :)

1 comment:

Jaenne' said...

Congrats! I've only had venison as jerky and enjoyed it. I would have kept most of the meat for the dogs!