Sunday, February 8, 2009

Its official: Reena Scrat Bee WHIT

Well, it happened today. Reena and I earned our Wapitti Herding Instinct Test! Yes she has the instinct to chase.

So get this story! I let the pups out to potty and hear that barking and I knew the problem. I went out on the deck to see this huge elk only 50 ft away loping across the yard right in front of me - it was gorgeous. Reena coming up behind it. It didn't seem too concerned, more annoyed that he had to pick up the pace abit so early; loping not running scared. Shear size was on his side.

I couldn't call Reena off and they headed down the wide clearcut corridor along the powerline, Reena barking all the way. I ran to get my shoes and headed out calling her. As I come over a hill I see a dog standing in the middle of the powerline corridor. I'm calling but its not coming, just standing there. Ok, that thing is gray, not dark brown. Then it sits down. Watching. Like, oh this is going to be good, I gotta see this. OMG! can you beleive it! What can I do, I keep calling. Then the coyote gets up and slips into the trees on the right side of the corridor - and not 30 seconds later Reena comes out of the woods on the left side of the corridor - right across from the coyote! So the elk ran into the trees, with Reena hot on its heels, and somewhere along the line a coyote sees the spectacle and watches the whole scene! How crazy is that! I couldn't beleive it was right there, so close to Reena chasing a bull elk and it was just hanging out in the open. Seeing how she'd do I guess! I love coyotes. ...and I love living in the woods:)

2 comments:

Katy said...

This is great stuff, Colleen!
I envy you. I can almost hear that coyote thinking, "Hey, who is that?....She's hot in a bad girl way. I saw her do a hand stand earlier to pee halfway up a pine tree....She'll never get that elk, though. It takes them cities girls awhile to learn..."

WalkOn Border Collies said...

Coyotes are known to lure dogs into the bush where they and/or their buddies are waiting. Coyotes see dogs are prey = dinner. At least the cityotes around here do.