Sunday, October 25, 2009

sheep time!

I had a great time at Norm Close's clinic yesterday. There was a range of skill in the dogs there, from not having been on sheep before, several from working ranches, to trial dogs learning to shed. Reena of course started out mostly embarrassing me with her insistent barking and running crazily in circles while pushing the calm knee knockers right past me.... at feat in itself. She pretty much back-slid about 2 years of training :) Not that I didn't expect this as it has been 8 months since she last saw sheep! However, I felt self-conscious getting on her so I only did it half way, to no avail, and Norm telling me to watch my sheep and not go after my dog all the time where I ended up on the wrong side of the sheep. I tried to explain that she doesn't always act this way (although she used too!). I eventually lost my self-consciousness and threw the wand at her which brought her back to training mode. We improved after that.

We worked on starting her to drive.... and even got a short but good distance and Reena seemed to understand it abit. I could tell that one session we had with Diane Deal working on this made a big difference because Reena picked it up pretty quickly. In contrast to my previously trying to teach her for several months on my own not knowing what I was doing. Very exciting for me. Especially since the Ranch course at the GSH trial next weekend includes driving! I try to remember - It's all about the fun..... as long as no one gets hurt.

Reena lost the sheep once yesterday and they ran through all the spectators and down the drive. Reena took chase (oh shit), but actually brought them back around the house! Which was great until they turned and ran through all the people a second time. Reena followed. But again, she brought them back, this time through all the people, always at top speed! Counting, that was three times 5 sheep and 1 dangerous dog blew through the spectator stand. Luckily no one got a hoof across the face. But as Norm pointed out, to Reena's credit, she was able to go out and get her sheep back with a multitude of obstacles and frantics and no assistance.

I'm looking forward to setting up some lessons with Norm in the future!! It is quite the drive (1.5 hrs) but I may be able to tie it in with trips to the office in Coeur d'Alene too.

I also had a photo session with Vickie Close and am looking forward to seeing the photos! She has some great artwork and I am sure they will be wonderful.

No comments: