Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I've apparently got a new pet -or Dylan does and its staying here. We got back from the staff hunt today and there was a Canada goose in my yard. It didn't fly away, just started following Dylan around. It even flew down the road after him when he left. No kidding. It flew like 10 feet off the ground next to the truck down the highway! So he put it in the dog run with some hay and water, just so he could go home!


This goose can not take up residence in the dog run! That is not how I picture my starting my farm animal managerie. And just because I am a biologist doesn't mean I want to add wildlife to the mix (although a pet coyote would be cool). I let the goose out of the dog run and tried to chase it toward the lake but it was determined to head towards Dylans car. Dylan took the work truck home and left is little red wagon here. I've looked out the window all night and the goose is parked by Dylans red wagon, dilengently waiting roosting on one leg in the driveway. WTF.


I've considered the convenience of mixing my wildlife job with my herding hobby. Reena refuses to herd ducks and eats wild ducks so I don't see any potential in this starting my own Canada goose flock. I have considered herding elk though.


PS I had an awesome time in Boise over the weekend. Got to visit everyone at the trial and go for a dog run in the sagebrush with Jake and Luna. Reena did pretty good in the trial and we definitely had fun. Oh, and Reena fulfilled her destiny as the grandma eating wolf on Halloween. I'll have to wait for photos from Jodi.


As soon as I got home Monday night, I grabbed my gun and headed up to BC for the night for a duck hunt the next morning. There was about 12 of us and we split up in groups of two. I got skunked! Nothing. Not even a shot in. The fog was so thick nothing was moving or you didn't see them fly over till they were on top of you and too late to shoot. Steve did get one shot, and took a widgeon though, so together we had something. Anyway, I am so tired and I have a feeling most of this post doesn't really make sense, so I'm hitting send and going to bed. Nightly night.

No comments: