Oh my, I just saw the running order for the Brr Bones trial this weekend!! Somehow I got on there! I've been so busy not herding Reena probably signed up without me even noticing. If she were really smart she would have signed up with a different handler.
Reminds me of a story, not unlike many that I have. Last week Mary and I went for a dog run on a 1 mile square chunk of state land. It sometimes has cows on it but you always know before hand cause that is the only time the gate is shut. Anyway, Mary's dogs were long gone, crusin for cattle. On days Mary and I get to sitting in the truck, drinkin and talkin to long, the dogs assume we'll be too drunk to get real mad, so they disapear. I'm sure they hit every corner of that mile block looking for entertaining flying hooves or piles of green steamy body cream. Well, we were mad. The beer was gone and we couldn't get more cause her dogs were gone too. We yell and honk the horn. Now, my obediant dogs were nearby in no time. I honk the horn more, real angry, and Reena crouches down cause she knows what that horn means and can tell I'm POed.
The red dogs and Mary and I get in the truck and drive around, honking and waiting for the white dogs. Oh, finally they come running out of the darkness from one corner of the field. We have to drive back to Mary's car and the white dogs are following us nicely so I decide to give the red dogs one more stretch of the legs on the way out. I open the door..and before Reenas paws hit the ground she in 200 feet in the direction Jake and Luna just came from...no honking breaks her stride or speed. She is taking off to go check out what they were doing for that half hour we were all in the truck waiting for them, knowing FULL WELL how mad I was. I knew she planned on retracing every step of theirs to a mile away; when she really sets her mind to something...nutin I can do. But what I can do is leave...ha ha ha.
I left and came back 40 min later. She was waiting on the road. She started running up as Roy and I drove closer. I stopped to wait for her, ... and she stops. I get out and call her and she runs up, shimmies around me sly like and jumps in. I get in and she's licking my face...and she's not an effectionate dog. I'm sure she's not sorry and would do it again instantly if she weren't so tired. And I can't help but love that about her.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great story! I was excited to see Reena AND you on the running list. Good times!
Post a Comment