Friday, February 26, 2010

Wingbee trip

I went to Redding CA for a week for the Pacific Flyway Wingbee. It was pretty cool. There were 25,000 wings! And they were down 5,000 from normal years. I learned alot on identifying sex and age one the wing. I kept a male and female wing of each species and flew them back with me :) I'm going to make a wing board for training techs and for check stations. Maybe I'll find a camera to get a few photos of the pretty ones and share.

Since we were short on wings and had alot of people this year, we actually finished early and I took Thur to do some sight seeing. I went to Shasta Lake in the mountains north of Redding. Beautiful spot. And I went on a tour of the Shasta Lake Carverns. I have never been in a cave before, the formations were pretty awesome.

On my drive from the airport on my arrival I stopped at two National Wildlife Refugees and did some birding and also at Shasta Lake. I saw bunches and bunches of birds. The spotted towhee, red-breasted sapsucker, and oak titmouse were newbies for me! Gotta love that.

Oh, and as I sit here, Bugglie Bubble is welcoming me back! Still Here!

bald eagle
red-tailed hawk
turkey vulture
bufflehead
ring-necked duck
green-winged teal
cinnamon teal
northern shoveler
American widgeon
northern pintail
gadwall
mallard
snow goose
white-fronted goose
white-faced ibis
snowy egret
great egret
great blue heron
double-crested cormorant
pied-billed grebe
American coot
ring-necked pheasant
long-billed curlew
greater yellowlegs
black-necked stilt
killdeer
acorn woodpecker
red-breasted sapsucker
yellow-bellied sapsucker
downy woodpecker
oak titmouse
spotted towhee
Anna's hummingbird
yellow-rumped warbler
marsh wren
western meadow lark
ruby-crowned kinglet
starling
white-crowned sparrow

2 comments:

Knotty Dogs said...

When you come down, take my camera home with you. I like your blog a whole lot better with photos!

Sounds like you had a good time! We need to go birding when you come down... just in my front yard.

CAT said...

Ok that'd be awesome. So my blog is boring you say :) Birding definately!